Imagine a safer world through infection
International Infection Prevention Week (IIPW) takes place October 14-20,
2012. It provides a focal point for infection preventionists, healthcare
professionals, consumers, organizations, and industry partners to shine a
light on infection prevention and its power to save lives.
Imagine a healthcare setting where every healthcare professional performs
appropriate hand hygiene before and after touching a patient. Imagine a
community where every individual uses proper respiratory etiquette by
coughing and sneezing into their elbow during cold season. Imagine the
impact on preventing the spread of infection.
Infection Prevention & You
Patients and family members are a critical part of the healthcare team. You
play an important role in preventing infection and staying safe when you
visit a healthcare facility. Learn more about how to take an active role in
your care. Always keep in mind these three
simple steps to safeguard you or a loved one from infection:
1. Clean your hands and cover your cough.
2. Ask your healthcare providers to clean their hands.
3. Speak up if you have any questions about your care.
• One in 20 hospitalized patients will get a healthcare-associated
infection as a result of the care they receive in the hospital, according to
the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
• Healthcare-associated infections cost U.S. hospitals an estimated $28.4
to $45 billion each year.
• Thirty-five percent of healthcare facilities across the globe do not
adequately promote hand hygiene practices, according to the World Health
Visit the 2012
International Infection Prevention Week Website
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc.
Infection Prevention is Everyone's Business